29 September, 2008

The Moving Image

I just got back from my first course of the term, and now I am eating some amazing left over pad thai!

The Moving Image is the name of the course I had this morning or um actually... afternoon. I am really excited. It is like NOTHING I would be able to take at Kent. It's going to be such a good experience to learn how to analyze more obscure works of art, like film, because when I go back home I'll be able to use those skills towards writing about actual art history. I find that it is much more difficult to write about modern and post modern art. You have to actually think for yourself! Instead of going to a text and just reading the actual history. 

Everything is so different here, but in a positive way. The school recognizes what students like, and run with it. At the Freshers fair there were so many different vendors from movies, plays, art, writing, and even a tattoo shop was there! They aren't afraid to work with what is going on in the now, instead of being stuck in the past with traditional learning techniques. When they say student based learning, they mean it! It feels so good to be in such a progressive atmosphere. I honestly think this is exactly what I've been searching for.

And I will leave you with this quote from class today, which I find a bit appropriate for this experience as a whole...

“The future belongs to the film which can’t be named” (Germaine Dulac, 1926)

No comments: